Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Marmaris

So I'm now in Marmaris, Turkey, and, when it is all said and done, I will have been here for nine days. It's quite a party town, and sweet SASSAFRASS do the Scandinavians and Russians love it! I'm swimming on the beach everyday between bouts of reading "The Idiot" so I can't complain. Plus, I love to discotheque it up and I've never seen so many discotheques in one place before... Some observations --

1. I've never been away from Americans this long before. I haven't met one since I left Athens and I'm told it's very rare for them to show up in this town. I miss "my people," and I don't think I'll ever take Americans for granted again. I thought we were ubiquitous in touristy areas. It seems I was wrong.

2. A corollary to the previous entry is that I miss people who can really speak English well. I've met one Turk who speaks it with rapid facility but most seem to have "business speech" and that's it. The Russians don't speak it very well at all as a rule, and I guess the Scandinavians are better, but still, it doesn't sound fluid and natural (probably because it isn't). I heard a couple of brits today, but they're English was, to say the least, not the Queen's Tongue.

3. Funny slogans abound -- I saw a bumper sticker belonging to a Dutch or something that said "Baby oon boord" A burger shack today advertised it was selling "Cheeseburgers, Pizza, and Baket Patato."


4. My hotel maid looks like a Turkish Rosie O' Donnell.

5. I saw "Batman Begins" in Rodos and was impressed - looks like Chris Nolan has saved the series. The star, Christian Bale, has a very peculiar face - I tried to place it the whole movie and towards the end I finally hit pay-dirt: The man looks like a combination between WILL FERRELL and PIERCE BROSNAN! No kidding - watch the movie yourself and you'll see some angles where the Ferrel influence is unmistakable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home