Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Growing US - Turkish Tensions

This is a very good article highlighting the specific policy differences between the US and Turkey that are leading to animosity from Turks towards Americans...

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-fuller19oct19,0,4190930.story?coll=la-opinion-rightrail

I have heard some of it when people learn I am American, but when I begin speaking some Turkish and especially when I say the magic words "Babam Türk", it dissipates into good-humored chiding pretty quicky. But if I DIDN't speak some Turkish and was TOTALLY American, I may be telling a different story.

On the whole, though, Turks are very hospitable towards their guests (they take pride in this aspect of their culture) and seem to still like the idea of the material wealth that America represents. Many I have spoken to would still like to visit one day although my ex-roommate said she had no desire to whatsoever (though she has been to Cuba). Well, MAYBE San Francisco she said...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home